Source of funding
Name of client/donor
Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida)
Overall project value
April 2011 – October 2014
Number of staff
Local environmental action plans (LEAPs) are strategic documents that bring together community interests, values and perspectives, set priorities and identify environmental actions.
The project aimed to:
- improve environmental management practices at national level and foster local environmental planning processes in national structures in Kosovo*;
- involve beneficiary municipalities in national and international development processes;
- contribute to dialogue on environmental issues among Kosovan municipalities and with potential international partners;
- involve available local and national funding sources; and
- contribute to investment planning and ensure the financial sustainability of local communities.
* This designation is without prejudice to positions on status and is in line with UNSCR and the ICJ opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
The project involved 10 local communities in 10 pilot projects in Kosovo*. A total of EUR 500,000 was provided for direct investments, and municipalities received guidance on implementing priority environmental investment projects in their communities. Around 150 experts from local and national authorities, public utilities and other institutions received targeted training on developing LEAPs in their communities and on financing environmental investment projects.
As a result of project activities:
- 10 LEAPs were approved by municipal assemblies with the participation of community and national stakeholders;
- the approved LEAPs were introduced to local and international organisations and the donor community active in Kosovo*;
- experiences and lessons learned during the development and implementation of LEAPs were shared through meetings, forums and study visits; and
- capital investments were made in selected environmental projects.
- Capacity building
- Investment planning
- Local initiatives
- Organisation of trainings and workshops